Senior Policy Analyst | email@example.com
Chris joined IPI as a Policy Analyst with the Coping with Crisis team in July 2008 and leads the IPI Data Lab initiative. His principle research focus is on the use of applied data science and computational methods to assist in policy analysis of issues in international affairs and conflict prevention. His prior research has examined compliance with Security Council Resolutions in the context of civil wars, international environmental governance and multilateral cybersecurity.
Prior to IPI, Chris was a research assistant at the Rural Development Institute examining the intersection of legal institutions, land tenure and international development. He also as an intern at the US Embassy in Nigeria and spent two years in rural Niger, West Africa as a Peace Corps Natural Resource Management volunteer.
Chris holds a master's in public administration from the Daniel J. Evans School (University of Washington) with a concentration in international development policy and a BA in philosophy of science from the University of Washington. He speaks English and Hausa.Selected Publications:
• Chris Perry, Machine-Learning and Conflict Prediction: A Use Case, Stability: International Journal of Security and Development 2(3):56 October, 2013.
• Christoph Mikulaschek and Chris Perry, The United Nations Security Council and Civil War: First Findings on Compliance, New York: International Peace Institute, 2013.
• Chris Perry and Adam Smith, Trends in Uniformed Contributions to UN Peacekeeping: A New Dataset, 1991–2012,New York: International Peace Institute, 2013.
• Chris Perry, IPI Peacekeeping Database, New York: International Peace Institute, 2013.
• Mireille Affa’a-Mindzie and Chris Perry, Mali and the Sahel-Sahara: From Crisis Management to Sustainable Strategy, New York: International Peace Institute, 2013.
• Jérémie Labbé and Chris Perry, Migrants in Times of Crisis: An Emerging Protection Challenge, New York: International Peace Institute, 2013.
• Chris Perry and Christoph Mikulaschek IPI Security Council Compliance Database, New York: International Peace Institute, 2012.
• Chris Perry, Strengthening International Environmental Governance: System-wide Responses, New York: International Peace Institute, 2012.
• Chris Perry, Environmental Migration: Policy Gaps and Response Strategies, New York: International Peace Institute, 2011.
• Sir Bani Yas Forum: Introductory Video, Prod. Duarte Design. Written by Francesco Mancini, Researched by Chris Perry. DVD. New York: International Peace Institute 2010.• James Cockayne, Christoph Mikulaschek, and Chris Perry, The United Nations Security Council and Civil War: First Insights from a New Dataset, New York: International Peace Institute, 2010.
IPI is grateful to our generous friends and donors who provide both intellectual and financial support. Their contributions help us in a very practical way to achieve program objectives, and their leadership is an invaluable resource to our organization.
The Global Observatory
Beyond the Violence in the Central African Republic, A Pact for Peace?
A “republican pact” signed by the leaders in CAR in early November could be an additional tool for promoting a nonviolent way forward for the fractured nation.
Key Global Events to Watch in December
A list of key upcoming meetings and events with implications for global affairs.
Top 10 Issues to Watch in 2013: The Multilateral Arena
Ten key issues that are likely to impact global affairs in international peace, security, and development.
The Global Observatory, produced by IPI, provides timely analysis on peace and security issues, interviews with leading policymakers, interactive maps, and more.
December 11, 2013
When Do Civil-War Parties Heed the UN?
The Security Council issued 1,557 demands to conflict parties in civil wars in the 15 years following the end of the Cold War, through its resolutions. Based on a statistical analysis of IPI’s Security Council Compliance Database, this report shows that while the levels of compliance with these demands varied, there was a slight increase in compliance over time.
December 10, 2013
Video: Human Rights in Peacekeeping
December 09, 2013
Video: Heraldo Muñoz on Benazir Bhutto's Assassination
December 03, 2013
IPI Editor Adam Lupel Quoted on the Politics of Genocide [IRIN News]