Senior Adviser | email@example.com
Youssef Mahmoud is a Senior Adviser IPI supporting the Africa, Middle East, and peace operations programs and serves as focal point on mediation policies and practices. Before retiring from the United Nations in January 2011, He was the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and Head of the UN Peacekeeping Mission in the Central African Republic and Chad (MINURCAT). From 2007 to 2009 he served as Executive Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the UN Integrated Peacebuilding Office in Burundi (BINUB).
Prior to these assignments, he held several other senior positions, notably as United Nations Resident Coordinator in Guyana, Director in the UN Department of Political Affairs, and Head of the Office of the Undersecretary-Secretary-General for Political Affairs. Before joining the United Nations in 1981, Mr. Mahmoud was Assistant Professor at the University of Tunis. He teaches graduate courses at Columbia University and New York University on peacebuilding challenges in Africa and on post conflict policies in fragile settings.
Over the past two years, he has focused his attention on the post-authoritarian transitions in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Yemen. He is leading an IPI initiative aimed at supporting the development of an Arab think tank to serve as a forum through which civil society leaders from these countries could exchange knowledge, experiences and lessons learned arising from their efforts to address the challenges and opportunities presented by these transitions.
Mr. Mahmoud has a Master’s degree in American Studies from the University of Tunis, an MS in Linguistics and a PhD in Socio-Linguistics from Georgetown University, Washington, DC.
• Youssef Mahmoud, "L'entreprenariat, le développement économique et la stabilité," Le Matin Geopolis, Octobre 2014.
• Youssef Mahmoud, "Lutte contre l'Etat islamique: Ses promesses et ses écueils," Le Matin Geopolis, 19 Septembre 2014.
• "Building a Sustainable Future Requires Leadership from State and Citizen", Global Observatory 2014 (with Jimena Leiva-Roesch and Steve Nation).
• Youssef Mahmoud, "Le Maroc: Une diplomatie tous azimuts," Le Matin Geopolis, 20 June 2014.
• "Pervasive Disconnect Between the State and Citizens Offers Two Paths: Promise or Peril," Global Observatory 2014.
• “The Tunisian Constitution: Triumphs and Potential Pitfalls," Global Observatory 2014 (with Margaret Willams).
• “The Crisis in the Central African Republic: Will a Woman at the Helm Enough," Global Observatory 2014 (with Mireille Affa-Mindze).
• “In Egypt’s New Constitution: Are Women Equal Citizens,” Global Observatory 2013.
• "Tunisia after the Uprising: Conversations and Observations," IPI Comment & Analysis 2011.
• Youssef Mahmoud, “Partnerships for Peacebuilding in Burundi: Some Lessons Learned,” in Crafting an African Security Architecture, edited by Hany Besada (London: Ashgate, 2010), pp. 129-142.
• Chandra Lekha Sriram and Youssef Mahmoud, “Bringing Security Back In: International Relations Theory and Moving Beyond the ‘Justice Versus Peace’ Dilemma in Transitional Societies,” in International Law and International Relations: Bridging Theory and Practice, edited by Thomas J. Biersteker, Peter J. Spiro, Chandra Lekha Sriram, and Veronica Raffo (New York: Routledge, 2007), pp. 222-235.
IPI is grateful to our generous friends and donors who provide both intellectual and financial support. Their contributions help us in a very practical way to achieve program objectives, and their leadership is an invaluable resource to our organization.
The Global Observatory
History Points to Rough Road Ahead for Ukraine Peace Deal
Previous deals can help shed light on the future of Minsk II.
Key Global Events to Watch in February
A list of key upcoming meetings and events with implications for global affairs.
2015: Ten Multilateral Events to Watch This Year
A list of ten events that are likely to impact international peace and security in 2015, compiled by IPI’s Francesco Mancini.
The Global Observatory, produced by IPI, provides timely analysis on peace and security issues, interviews with leading policymakers, interactive maps, and more.
February 20, 2015
Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri Appointed IPI Vice President
September 25, 2014
IPI Remembers Margaret Vogt