Conferences - Thursday, May 07, 2009
IPI Co-Hosts Monitoring and Evaluation of Peace Operations Workshop
A number of institutions and experts are increasingly engaged in the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of peacekeeping and peacebuilding operations. However, many of these efforts remain fragmented, and do not yet influence the institutional culture and procedures of key actors, such as the United Nations and donor countries.
As the number of peacekeeping and peacebuilding operations proliferates in response to conflict and post-conflict situations, monitoring the implementation of these interventions and evaluating their impact is an increasingly urgent matter. It is against this background that the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) and the International Peace Institute (IPI) organized a two-day seminar on monitoring and evaluation of peace operations, which took place on May 7-8, 2009, in IPI’s Trygve Lie Center.
Approximately fifty scholars and practitioners attended. Participants gave presentations on specific cases on which they have been working, highlighted some of the challenges of M&E, and offered suggestions for strengthening research and practice in M&E.
download agenda (.pdf)
Downloads of each presentation are available by clicking on the titles listed below:
* Dr. Benjamin de Carvalho, Senior Research Fellow, NUPI
"Evaluating Peace Operations: Theoretical Perspectives and Operational Challenges" (.ppt)
* Emery Brusset, Executive Director, Channel Research Ltd
"Four Rules of the Art, and Some Poking Around for Practical Solutions to the Challenges of Joint Peace Intervention Evaluations" (.ppt)
* Lieutenant-colonel Jean-Michel Millet
"Assessment and Monitoring in Operation EUFOR CHAD-CAR" (.ppt)
* Susanna P. Campbell, Research Fellow, Centre on Conflict, Development, and Peacebuilding
"Organizational Challenges to Improving Monitoring and Evaluation" (.doc)
* Dr. Sarah Jane Meharg, Senior Research Associate at the Pearson Peacekeeping Centre, and Adjunct Professor at the Royal Military College of Canada
"Measuring What Matters in Peace Operations and Crisis Management" (.ppt)
* James Cockayne, Christoph Mikulaschek, and Chris Perry, IPI
“Understanding Compliance with UN Security Council Resolutions Addressing Civil Wars” (.ppt)
* Spyros Demetriou, Stabilization Team Leader for Eastern DRC
"United Nations Security and Stabilization Support Strategy for Eastern DRC Measuring Impact" (.ppt)
* Svein Erik Stave, Researcher, Fafo Institute for Applied International Studies, and Matti Lehtonen, Policy Officer, UN Peacebuilding Support Office
"The UN Practitioners Handbook for Peace Consolidation Benchmarking" (.ppt)
* Eric Hubbard, Advisor to the Liberian Ministry of Planning and Economic Affairs, and Wilfred N. Gray-Johnson, Director, Liberia Peacebuilding Office
"Integrated PRS/ UNDAF Monitoring & Evaluation Tools & Structures: Tracking Progress toward the restoration and consolidation of peace in Liberia" (.ppt)
* Ghassan Al-Chaar and Rob Grossman-Vermaas, US Army Corps of Engineers, Research and Development
"Measuring Progress in Conflict Environments & the Haiti Stabilization Initiative (HSI) (.ppt)"
* Vincent Kayijuka, Peacebuilding Officer, UN Peacebuilding Support Office
"Monitoring and Evaluation of Peace Building" (.ppt)
Slide show: Image 1 of 6
Photo Credits: Preston Merchant
Participants on the terrace of IPI’s Trygve Lie Center.
The Global Observatory
Key Global Events to Watch in September
A list of key upcoming meetings and events with implications for global affairs.
2014 Top 10 Issues to Watch in Peace & Security: The Global Arena
A list of ten key issues to watch that are likely to impact international peace and security in 2014, compiled by IPI's Francesco Mancini.
The Global Observatory, produced by IPI, provides timely analysis on peace and security issues, interviews with leading policymakers, interactive maps, and more.
August 25, 2014
High-Level Forum Examines Lessons of 1814 and 1914 for Today
2014 marks the centenary of the outbreak of World War One and the bicentenary of the opening of the Congress of Vienna–two dates that profoundly shaped the course of history.
August 05, 2014
Accra Meeting Examines Effective Governance in Challenging Environments
Despite undeniable progress, the continuous peace and security reverses witnessed across Africa illustrate the persistent gap that exists between aspirational good governance norms and principles and their actual implementation.
July 17, 2014
EU and UN Seek Ways to Improve Cooperation in Peacekeeping
The European Union is among the strongest supporters of UN peacekeeping missions around the globe, but the growing challenges faced by UN-led operations have raised the need for better EU-UN cooperation, both on the ground and at the planning level.