Meeting Notes - March 30, 2012
What Works in Preventive Diplomacy
Robert Muggah, rapporteur
This meeting note summarizes the discussion from a forum held at IPI on December 15, 2011, in collaboration with the Folke Bernadotte Academy, the SecDev Group, and the Social Science Research Council. The meeting explored insights on conflict prevention and preventive diplomacy from research and from the field, and their implications for policy and practice.
Download this publication
To move the prevention agenda forward, the note makes a number of recommendations:
- Acknowledge the changes in the landscapes of armed conflict and collective violence.
- Address the root cause of conflict, but also recognize that the causes of peace may be different.
- Recognize the critical opportunities for diplomacy and prevention in these environments, but also recognize the challenges for coordination.
- Deepen the knowledge base on the micro-determinants of “success” in preventive diplomacy and conflict prevention.
- Support multiple collaborative tracks of research on early diplomacy and conflict prevention.
The Global Observatory
Key Global Events to Watch in September
A list of key upcoming meetings and events with implications for global affairs.
2014 Top 10 Issues to Watch in Peace & Security: The Global Arena
A list of ten key issues to watch that are likely to impact international peace and security in 2014, compiled by IPI's Francesco Mancini.
The Global Observatory, produced by IPI, provides timely analysis on peace and security issues, interviews with leading policymakers, interactive maps, and more.
August 25, 2014
High-Level Forum Examines Lessons of 1814 and 1914 for Today
2014 marks the centenary of the outbreak of World War One and the bicentenary of the opening of the Congress of Vienna–two dates that profoundly shaped the course of history.
August 05, 2014
Accra Meeting Examines Effective Governance in Challenging Environments
Despite undeniable progress, the continuous peace and security reverses witnessed across Africa illustrate the persistent gap that exists between aspirational good governance norms and principles and their actual implementation.
July 17, 2014
EU and UN Seek Ways to Improve Cooperation in Peacekeeping
The European Union is among the strongest supporters of UN peacekeeping missions around the globe, but the growing challenges faced by UN-led operations have raised the need for better EU-UN cooperation, both on the ground and at the planning level.