IPI HomeTopicsInstitutions

Institutions

FILTER TOPIC BY:

Page 1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7Previous  Next 63 Results

Conferences - April 11, 2014

IPI, Turkey Host Informal Retreat for UN Security Council

IPI and the government of Turkey co-hosted an informal United Nations Security Council (UNSC) retreat in Istanbul on April 11-13, 2014. The retreat, in its fifth consecutive year, gathered members of the UN Security Council, as well as current chairs and high-level officials of a number of international and regional organizations to examine how the UNSC and regional organizations may more effectively work together on issues concerning international peace and security. 
In an off-the-record setting, discussions sought to build upon existing mechanisms for strengthened cooperation between the Security Council and regional organizations on areas of conflict prevention, peace operations, counterterrorism, and humanitarian crises, with particular emphasis given to prevention.

A meeting note on the retreat is forthcoming from IPI.

Speaker Events - November 27, 2012

SRSG Kobler: UN “More Needed Than Ever” in Iraq

“I think we are more needed than ever,” said Martin Kobler, Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) for Iraq, and Head of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), at an IPI event on November 27, 2012.  

Panel Discussions - November 08, 2012

ICC Prosecutor Bensouda on Security Council Referrals

Concrete action is needed to improve the UN Security Council’s practice of referring situations to the International Criminal Court (ICC). This was the main message to emerge from a roundtable discussion on the relationship between the ICC and the Security Council held at IPI on November 8, 2012.  

Panel Discussions - May 08, 2012

Panel on the Changing Nature of Peacekeeping

“Hybrid and support models are gaining prevalence, particularly among the UN and the AU . This reflects the changing nature of peacekeeping in Africa, especially the manner in which peacekeeping missions are composed, driven, and funded,” Olivier Nduhungirehe, Charge d’Affaires of the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Rwanda to the United Nations, told an IPI audience on May 8, 2012.  

Panel Discussions - April 18, 2012

Pires: In Fragile States, War Costs More Than Development

“It is a simple equation,” Emilia Pires, Minister of Finance of Timor Leste, said. “War costs more than development. When I began as Minister of Finance, even I was staggered by how citizen-state contracts could help solidify security, help rebuild lives, and put the state on a path to stability.” 

Speaker Events - March 14, 2012

İhsanoğlu: OIC in Forefront of Changes in Muslim World

“When you look to what happened…you will see the OIC was in the forefront,” Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu, Secretary-General of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), told an IPI lunchtime forum on March 14, 2012, discussing the response to the Arab uprisings that began last year.  

Speaker Events - January 20, 2012

Moreno-Ocampo: "I Follow Evidence, Not Politics"

“I follow evidence. I’m a criminal prosecutor, I’m not a political analyst,” Luis Moreno-Ocampo, Chief Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC), told an IPI policy forum on January 20, 2012.  

Panel Discussions - October 25, 2011

The OSCE-Mediterranean Partnership and the Arab Uprisings

On October 25th, IPI’s Vienna office hosted a discussion on how the changes in the Arab world affect the OSCE-Mediterranean partnership, and whether the time is ripe to intensify a dialogue on strengthening security and cooperation in North Africa and the Middle East. 

Speaker Events - September 23, 2011

Lamberto Zannier: Why We Need the OSCE

Lamberto Zannier, the new Secretary-General of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) told an IPI audience on September 23rd that one of the questions he has been asked since assuming his post on July 1st was why the OSCE was needed when Europe already has the European Union and NATO.  

Conferences - July 02, 2011

Turkey, IPI Hold Security Council Retreat in Istanbul

For the second consecutive year, IPI collaborated with the Government of the Republic of Turkey in holding an informal retreat of the United Nations Security Council in Istanbul on July 2-3, 2011. 

The Global Observatory

Oil Rich but Lacking Institutions, Libya Struggles to Build a State: Q&A with Dr. Younes Abouyoub
With violence on the rise, Libya's road to democracy and statehood needs stronger institutions, better political dialogue, and a stronger UN mandate.

Key Global Events to Watch in August
A list of key upcoming meetings and events with implications for global affairs.

2014 Top 10 Issues to Watch in Peace & Security: The Global Arena
A list of ten key issues to watch that are likely to impact international peace and security in 2014, compiled by IPI's Francesco Mancini.

The Global Observatory, produced by IPI, provides timely analysis on peace and security issues, interviews with leading policymakers, interactive maps, and more.