IPI is seeking applications for the following job openings:
The International Peace Institute (IPI) is an independent, international not-for-profit think tank dedicated to managing risk and building resilience to promote peace, security, and sustainable development. To achieve its purpose, IPI employs a mix of policy research, strategic analysis, publishing, and convening.
IPI’s Publications Department produces approximately 30 research reports and other publications annually, offering insights, analysis, and policy recommendations on a variety of issues relating to peace, conflict, and development. The Editor manages the editing, production, and dissemination of IPI’s research and publications, in collaboration with and under the supervision of the Director of Research and Publications. The Editor is responsible for the timely execution of the publications pipeline and for introducing innovations in the way the Institute disseminates its research.
- Manage the editing, fact checking, and proofreading of all IPI books, policy papers, issue briefs, and meeting notes, including IPI’s Annual Report.
- Review, edit, copyedit, and proofread books, policy papers, and institutional publications, or coordinate the outsourcing of same.
- Liaise with printers, publishers, authors, and editors, working with in-house research staff.
- Coordinate the dissemination of IPI publications electronically and in hard copy among target constituencies, and draft concise and compelling communications materials.
- Design and implement a communications strategy to help IPI’s research and publications reach a wider audience.
- Work with colleagues to create multimedia communications tools (infographics, data visualizations, explainer videos, video and audio interviews with authors, etc.) for select publications.
- Contribute to the design and accessibility of publications by improving graphical representations and reviewing layouts and formats.
- Help authors to secure media interviews and other press coverage as appropriate.
- Develop strategies for monitoring and evaluating readership of IPI publications, with a view to increasing readership and visibility and improving targeting of key readers.
- Advanced university degree in international relations, political science, or English. A combination of relevant academic qualifications and extensive experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree
- At least three years of professional experience in an editorial role
- Outstanding command of English, particularly in writing and editing
- Deep knowledge of international affairs and public policy
- Strong organizational skills and extraordinary attention to detail
- Communications and/or multimedia experience
- Experience leading and/or mentoring more junior staff in a professional setting
Please send cover letter with curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional referees, and a relevant writing or editing sample to email@example.com (with “Editor Position” as the email subject).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No telephone or faxed inquiries. The position will be filled as soon as a successful candidate is identified. Candidates must be willing to relocate to New York City.
This is a full-time, paid internship position in the events department to support our convening aspect with event organization and planning. The intern is under the overall supervision of the Events Coordinator. The intern in the events department will work with the events team to organize events and meetings. The position requires an energetic person with excellent judgment, discretion, attention to details, initiative, and the ability to prioritize. It is imperative and essential that the person in this position has excellent communication skills, the ability to remain calm under pressure, is polite, and has a positive disposition when liaising with staff and guests.
- Contact invitees prior to an event and other outreach duties related to the planning of an event;
- Assist with projects related to the database;
- Arrange catering and other services, including follow-up prior to events;
- Take inventory of events-related materials as needed;
- Provide support during events, including room setup, check-in of participants, greeting of guests, handling of microphones, display of publications, and other matters as they arise;
- Assist with the set-up of the conference room;
- Participate in the clean-up process following the conclusion of events, including putting away the microphones, removing leftover food and event materials;
- Other duties as assigned by the Events Coordinator.
- B.A. preferred, but not required;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to multitask;
- Interest in/knowledge of multilateral institutions/international affairs a plus.