IPI is currently seeking applications for the following positions in the New York office:
- Human Resources and Office Manager
- External Relations Intern
- Brian Urquhart Center for Peace Operations Intern
Human Resources and Office Manager
IPI is currently inviting applications for the position of Human Resources and Office Manager. This position focuses on Human Resources with additional Office Management responsibilities and reports to the Senior Director of Finance and Administration.
Human Resource Responsibilities
- Manage all HR process such as talent search, preparing job announcements, job description, screening resumes, collecting resumes, contacting, pre-screening applicants for general staff, coordinate interviewing process and provide information to candidates.
- Prepare orientation materials for new employees as well as exit interviews for staff.
- Support administration of benefit plans, oversee payments, and authorize staff additions and terminations to plans.
- Review and calculate payments for benefits bills.
- Support process of working visas.
- Maintenance of records (vacation, attendance, time sheets, contact information, information package, etc.) of employees.
- Prepare contracts for consultants and maintain consultant’s information.
- Assist with update of Employee Handbook and General Office Policies and Procedures.
- Serve as dedicated staff ombudsperson.
General Office Responsibilities
- Supervise purchase and maintenance of office supplies, furniture and equipment.
- Organize upkeep of all IPI office space, including kitchen, mailroom, basement, etc.
- Maintain administration files and records and supervising the general filing system, storage systems and historical archive.
- Arrange coverage for the reception desk and if needed covering reception desk.
- Assist with negotiating contracts and vendor relations; settle disputes over billing matters.
- Monitor and prepare ERs for payments of bills of general office equipment and supplies.
- Other ad hoc tasks as requested by the Senior Director of Finance and Administration or the Vice President.
- BA in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or related field with Human Resources Certificate.
- Minimum of five years of experience.
- Outstanding command of English, particularly in writing.
- Strong organizational skills and extraordinary attention to detail; and
- Excellent ability to multitask.
Please send cover letter, résumé, and professional three references to email@example.com (with “HR and Office Manager” as the email subject).
Please send applications by Friday, August 31, 2018. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates must be willing to relocate to New York City. No working visa will be sponsored for this position.
External Relations Intern
This is a full-time paid internship position in the external relations department to support event organization and planning. The intern is under the overall supervision of the Events Coordinator.
The External Relations intern will gain knowledge and skills from on-the-job experience, with the External Relations Team providing guidance and feedback to facilitate the learning process. S/He will also interact with program staff members, to assist in the organization of all IPI events and meetings. The External Relations internship requires a candidate who is an energetic multitasker with excellent judgment, discretion, initiative, and the ability to prioritize.
- Assist with the coordination and execution of all logistical aspects of IPI events, including the invitation process, check-in of participants, greeting of guests, handling of microphones, displaying of publications, and other matters as they arise;
- Contact invitees prior to an event and other outreach duties related to the planning of an event;
- Compile participant list and biographies for upcoming events;
- Assist with room setup prior to events;
- Participate in the clean-up process following the conclusion of events, including putting away the microphones, removing left-over food, papers, pens, notepads and assisting with re-arranging the conference room;
- Update the event records in Salesforce database with all of the planning information related to an event and record all of the follow up information, including event attendance;
- Manage post-event follow-up, including sending follow-up documents to participants;
- Take inventory of events-related materials as needed; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Events Coordinator.
- BA preferred, but not required in the field of Business Management/Hospitality or other related field;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills and an extraordinary attention to detail;
- Excellent ability to multitask;
- Working knowledge of Salesforce a plus; and
- Educational knowledge of multilateral institutions/international affairs a plus.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org (with “External Relations Intern” as the email subject).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The internship will be filled as soon as a successful candidate is identified. Candidates must be willing to relocate to New York City.
Brian Urquhart Center for Peace Operations Intern
IPI is seeking qualified applicants for a full-time, three-month paid internship (with the possibility of renewal) as part of IPI’s Brian Urquhart Center for Peace Operations (CPO). The ideal start date will be October 20, 2018, but IPI will also consider applicants who are available to start by early January 2019.
The Brian Urquhart Center for Peace Operations covers IPI’s work on the full spectrum of peace and security issues, including prevention, mediation, peace operations, peacebuilding and sustaining peace, preventing violent extremism, and UN reform.
The intern will report directly to CPO’s Policy Analysts. The successful candidate will work with all members of the CPO team, and will interact with other IPI programs. The intern will gain knowledge and skills from on-the-job experience, with the CPO Team providing guidance and feedback to facilitate the learning process.
- Identify, analyze and monitor political developments and trends in relations to peace and security and peacebuilding;
- Research and contribute to drafting analytical reports on issues related to international peace and security, including but not limited to peace operations, peacebuilding and sustaining peace, and mediation;
- Interact with a broad range of international and regional actors working on these topics at the multilateral level;
- Assist with the substantive and technical preparation of meetings and seminars;
- Support the social media processes for the Center;
- Contribute analysis and technical assistance to IPI’s internet presence;
- Provide research support to the team as needed; and
- Perform various administrative tasks in support of CPO programming.
- Graduate-level coursework in international affairs, political science, or a related field, with an interest or focus on issues related to international peace and security;
- Knowledge of UN institutions and multilateral policy processes;
- Outstanding research, analytical, and English writing skills;
- Fluency in English; proficiency in an additional official UN language is an added value;
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment, with demonstrated sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills; and
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
The closing date for applications is Friday, September 7, 2018.
Please send the following in an email to email@example.com (with “CPO Internship” as the email subject):
1) Cover letter
2) Current résumé/CV;
2) A short writing sample (no more than 2-3 pages) on a relevant subject;
3) Contact information for three professional references.
Please send only Word, Word Perfect or Adobe Acrobat files. Do not compress or zip files. No telephone inquiries. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The CPO internship is a full time position, paid according to an hourly wage. Interns also receive a subsidized MetroCard.
Please note that IPI cannot sponsor work visas for internships.